Dryer Safety and Fire Prevention Tips in Seattle

dryer safetyWhen you think about house fires, you may think about the stove or electrical wires as the most likely culprits. The dryer, though, is another fire hazard. We’ll discuss dryer safety and some alarming statistics.

Dryer Fire Statistics

The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) released some alarming numbers pertaining to dryer fires. Washers and dryers can both catch on fire. However, in 92% of cases involving washer and dryer appliances, the latter was the primary culprit. In 2017, nearly 16,000 American residences sustained property damage stemmed from a dryer fire. Those cases led to 440 bodily injuries and $238 million in damage.

How Dryers Cause Fires

Fires are typically ignited from lint and dust. The NFPA estimated that about 1/3rd of dryer fires are due to a backed-up dryer vent. Dryer vent fires also increase around wintertime. The issue, however, is problematic no matter the time of year.

Apart from the fire hazard, a backed-up vent also leads to more allergens indoors. A clogged vent also traps the moisture, creating a hospitable environment for mold growth.

Safety Tips for Preventing Dyer Vent Fires

  • Never start the dryer without a lint filter
  • Check the lint filter every time after use. Remove the lint, particularly the dust around the drum.
  • Inspect the exhaust vent pipe for obstructions
  • Never let the dryer run when nobody’s home
  • For gas dryers, be certain the gas line connection has no leakage.
  • Bring in a technician on an annual basis to evaluate the dryer vent.

We Help Ensure Dryer Safety in Seattle

Irrespective of dryer make and model, call Aurora Edmonds Furnace Cleaning to book an appointment. We suggest this as part of an overall plan that also includes air duct and furnace maintenance. Due to fire risks, dryer safety maintenance is a must.

Dryer Safety Provisions in Seattle

Serving Seattle, Tacoma, Everett, Bellevue, King County and South Snohomish County

Posted on March 22, 2021 | Published by Ignite Local | Related Local Business