How a Dirty Dryer Vent Can Cause a House Fire

dirty dryer ventWhat causes a house fire? Common culprits include exposed wiring, unsupervised candles, and a faulty stove. Unbeknownst to most homeowners, a dirty dryer vent can also lead to a fire. We’ll explain the hazards of an uncleaned dryer vent and how it’s a common contributor of residential fires.

Dryer Vents as a Fire Hazard

Dirty dryer vents contribute to about 5000 U.S. house fires every year, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. This happens when a clogged dryer vent causes the appliance to overheat.

Is your dryer vent at risk? We compiled a list of warning signs that your dryer vent is clogged and may potentially be a fire starter.

  • Your laundry does not completely dry after a full normal cycle
  • Your laundry feels warmer than usual after a drying cycle
  • You find exorbitant amounts of lint in the dryer after a cycle
  • You find excessive amounts of lint in the lint trapper after a cycle

How to Prevent a Dryer Vent-Induced Fire

  • Clean your dryer vent along with the air ducts at least once a year
  • Clean the lint filter after every drying cycle. Replace the filter if you see a wax-like substance accumulating on the lint screen.
  • Never operate the dryer before exiting the house. Dryer fires can break out and quickly spread if the appliance is unattended.
  • Do not place clothing into the dryer that has been in contact with flammable liquids. A shirt smeared with cooking oil can catch fire if it’s in a dryer that’s overheating.

Have Your Dirty Dryer Vent Cleaned by a Professional

As mentioned, schedule a dryer vent cleaning once a year or if the appliance shows any of the described symptoms. Aurora Edmonds Furnace Cleaning cleans residential dryers and furnaces in the Greater Snohomish area. A dirty dryer vent is a fire hazard and puts your family and property at risk.

Dryer Vent Cleaning for a Safe and Efficient Home

Serving Seattle, Tacoma, Everett, Bellevue, King County
and South Snohomish County

Posted on April 22, 2020 | Published by Ignite Local | Related Local Business